Thursday 16 May 2013

Get the rats off the island!

On the night before I was heading off Galapagos, I took the thermal camera outside thinking it might be helpful in finding birds roosting. I wish I had good images to share with you, but although I did see roosting birds, I was more intrigued and disturbed by mammals crawling in the trees. These mammals were invasive rats crawling around the very trees within our finches live. I hasten to wonder whether they were targeting birds or their nests.


(Source: http://www.nature.com/news/invasive-species-the-18-km2-rat-trap-1.12992?WT.mc_id=FBK_NatureNews )

Then, I see this post on Nature News about the Galapagos efforts to get the rats off the islands. I suspect this will be an uphill battle of epic proportions. Let's hope they make some progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment